Travel Tips for Bali

We planned our entire Indonesia trip in 2 days. Based on our experience following are some of the tips that will be helpful for every traveler to Bali

LOGISTICS

#1 Check in at Airport: If you are using a Low Cost Carries in Asia, buy the luggage coupon while booking the ticket and reach the airport early so that you can get better seats. The cost of checking in the luggage at the counter can be twice as much as buying a coupon online. We had to sit in 2 separate rows as we reached the airport late.

#2 Buy Indonesian SIM Card: At the Bali airport, buy a sim card for USD 25 (50 mins calling and 6 GB data). International calls are also covered under this plan. We felt it was a good investment, considering we had to coordinate with the driver, hotels etc.

#3 Transportation from Airport to Hotel: Book Bluebird Taxis from the airport or ask your hotel to arrange for a pick up. Bluebird has a counter at the airport and will offer you a fixed rate. We booked ‘Grab car’ through the mobile app which was much cheaper than the Bluebird taxi but the driver could not speak English. Hence, we had to cancel and book bluebird taxi. The fare from Denpasar to Ubud is about USD 30 and can vary based on the season.

DSC_0503
Tirta Gangga at Dusk

BALI TRADITIONS

#4 Be Modestly Dressed: While swim suits are completely acceptable at beaches, dressing modestly on the streets is recommended.

#5 Respect Tradition: Balinese are very open, warm and welcoming. Passing a warm smile, acknowledging their presence and blending in will be welcomed. Wear sarong (long piece of cloth worn around the waist) when you are entering into the temple.  Do not step on Canang Sari, offerings made to the God by Balinese Hindus. You will see loads of them outside shops, in temples etc.

#6 Use a Translator App: Advisable to know few Bahasa words such as Terimah Kasi (Thank you), Selamat Jalan (Have a nice trip), Sama Sam (Welcome)

LOCAL TRANSPORT

#7 Self Drive: You need an international driving permit from your home country before you reach Indonesia. Petrol can be bought at petrol stations as well as at roadside shops in bottles costing around .8 USD per litre. The yellow bottles frequently seen on the roadside contains petrol.

#8 Avoid Self Drive, Book a Taxi: The distances are huge, roads are narrow and traffic might be exhausting. Moreover, a local driver might act as guide. Our driver was Agung (+62 852 3722 5847) and was a phenomenal choice.

PHOTOGRAPHY

#9. You will be on road for most part of your day. Keep phone/camera battery charger handy. As an alternative, we charged the battery during lunch time at the restaurants. If you are carrying a DSLR, getting a tripod is recommended to capture sunset, sunrise & waterfalls. Carry some gear to prevent the camera from getting wet at the waterfall.

DSC_0999
Beautiful Buds near the Teganungan Waterfalls

TREKKING

#10. Mt. Batur Trek: Its a good trek for beginners. Book the trek through Uma Kutuh tourist service (+62 812 38445426, Adi). This costed us around USD 27 per person (including pick up and drop from Ubud), much lower than what other operators were offering online. I suggest to book the tour once you arrive in Bali. This will help you to be flexible and plan your trek according to the latest weather condition. We booked the tour 8 hours before our trek and managed to get the slots quite easily, even during the busy season. Strongly recommend to carry a jacket/warm clothing to avoid feeling cold at the summit.

DSC_0896
A Chilies farm encountered during the Mt. Batur Trek

BASIC NEEDS

#11 Daily Needs: Delta Dewata is a 24 hr supermarket and can help you with your basic needs of toiletries and snacks.

Read more about Things to Do in Bali

14 Comments Add yours

1. Ivan Jose says:

I love your photos! They all look alive and dramatic. As for Bali, it still remains as a plan. Hope we can raise funds to go there soon.

2. toastycritic says:

Bali does look so amazing. And your pictures are just so beautiful and sensual. It feels like I can reach out and touch the things in your post. I really do need to go there at some point.

3. Elizabeth O says:

I love your reminder about respecting the traditions of the area. I always get upset when I see people disrespecting the local culture.

4. This is what I love about the internet. Is getting great advice from someone who has already been to a place. I’d never have thought to buy a native SIM card, and we probably wouldn’t have discovered the Delta supermarket until the last day!!

5. ljdove23 says:

I would LOVe to visit Bali, it’s on our list of places to visit when the children are older. It looks amazing, like paradise really, and I can only hope we save up enough money to make it there one day!

6. ojandcigs says:

Great post! I’ve been wanting to travel to Bali, and your tips are really helpful! Looking to plan for a trip there next year 🙂

7. Ahtsham says:

Nice article! Good recommendations, and I think these tips are useful when going abroad anywhere. Will definitely keep in mind!

8. Ana De-Jesus says:

I definitely think that it is so important to respect tradition when you are visiting another country as it is the polite thing to do. That is very well said! x

9. I have to say I did not enjoy Bali at all, I don’t think I would ever return. Living in Australia, it seems to be the only place Australians go on holiday. I miss living in Ireland for the ease of travelling Europe,

10. alisonrost says:

What wonderful tips, not only for a trip to Bali, but anywhere in the world. I especially liked respecting traditions. Whenever my husband and I travel, we try to research the traditions of the place we’ll be. Also, a translator app. I haven’t thought about using something like this, but I bet it would sure come in handy!

11. Violinkit says:

Great tips here on journeying to Bali. A Balinese sim card is a good idea and one that I would’t think of myself. Dressing modestly too is something that would need to be respected by all tourists visiting this beautiful Island.

12. Wow, Bali is really popular right now. I’ve seen so many posts about it. Maybe that means I should book a trip!

13. kingteeuhh says:

This is a great list, esp the cultural tidbits that dont necessarily apply everywhere you go. Bali is definitely high on my list of places to visit.

14. raisingyourpetsnaturally says:

Really great trips. I think it would be so much fun to visit a place like Bali. I’m not sure I’d actually get to go to a place so exotic. But, I do like dreaming.

Share Your Thoughts With Us

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s